Contemporary Debates in Applied Ethics, ISBN-13: 978-1405115476
[PDF eBook eTextbook]
Contemporary Debates in Philosophy (Book 4)
Publisher: Wiley-Blackwell; 1 edition (January 24, 2005)
Contemporary Debates in Applied Ethics features pairs of newly commissioned essays by some of the leading theorists working in the field today.
– Brings together fresh debates on eleven of the most controversial issues in applied ethics
– Topics addressed include abortion, affirmative action, animals, capital punishment, cloning, euthanasia, immigration, pornography, privacy in civil society, values in nature, and world hunger.
– Lively debate format sharply defines the issues, and paves the way for further discussion.
– Will serve as an accessible introduction to the major topics in applied ethics, whilst also capturing the imagination of professional philosophers.
“It’s hard to think of a better general introduction to contemporary debates in applied ethics and public policy. The editors have enlisted well-known philosophers to pair off on particular controversies, and they do so ably and instructively. This volume will work well as a textbook for university courses.” Christopher Morris, University of Maryland
“Great writers joining debate on great topics. Cohen and Wellman have assembled an admirably compact volume, given its breadth. It will be of considerable service to teachers of moral problems courses and to anyone with an interest in the cutting edge of applied ethics.” David Schmidtz, University of Arizona
This engaging book features original essays on some of the most hotly debated topics in applied ethics today. Is abortion morally permissible? Should we be allowed to clone human beings? Should immigration be limited, or left open? Together, the essays provide an accessible introduction to the major topics in the field.
About the Author
Andrew I. Cohen is Associate Director of the Jean Beer Blumenfeld Center for Ethics and teaches in the Department of Philosophy at Georgia State University.
Christopher Heath Wellman is Associate Professor of Philosophy at Washington University in St. Louis. He is co-editor, with R. G. Frey, of A Companion to Applied Ethics (Blackwell 2003).
What makes us different?
• Instant Download
• Always Competitive Pricing
• 100% Privacy
• FREE Sample Available
• 24-7 LIVE Customer Support