Big Data Fundamentals: Concepts, Drivers & Techniques by Thomas Erl, ISBN-13: 978-0134291079
[PDF eBook eTextbook]
- Publisher: Pearson; 1st edition (January 5, 2016)
- Language: English
- 240 pages
- ISBN-10: 0134291077
- ISBN-13: 978-0134291079
The Definitive Plain-English Guide to Big Data for Business and Technology Professional.
Big Data Fundamentals provides a pragmatic, no-nonsense introduction to Big Data. Best-selling IT author Thomas Erl and his team clearly explain key Big Data concepts, theory and terminology, as well as fundamental technologies and techniques. All coverage is supported with case study examples and numerous simple diagrams.
The authors begin by explaining how Big Data can propel an organization forward by solving a spectrum of previously intractable business problems. Next, they demystify key analysis techniques and technologies and show how a Big Data solution environment can be built and integrated to offer competitive advantages.
- Discovering Big Data’s fundamental concepts and what makes it different from previous forms of data analysis and data science
- Understanding the business motivations and drivers behind Big Data adoption, from operational improvements through innovation
- Planning strategic, business-driven Big Data initiatives
- Addressing considerations such as data management, governance, and security
- Recognizing the 5 “V” characteristics of datasets in Big Data environments: volume, velocity, variety, veracity, and value
- Clarifying Big Data’s relationships with OLTP, OLAP, ETL, data warehouses, and data marts
- Working with Big Data in structured, unstructured, semi-structured, and metadata formats
- Increasing value by integrating Big Data resources with corporate performance monitoring
- Understanding how Big Data leverages distributed and parallel processing
- Using NoSQL and other technologies to meet Big Data’s distinct data processing requirements
- Leveraging statistical approaches of quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Applying computational analysis methods, including machine learning
Thomas Erl is a top-selling IT author, founder of Arcitura Education and series editor of the Prentice Hall Service Technology Series from Thomas Erl. With more than 200,000 copies in print worldwide, his books have become international bestsellers and have been formally endorsed by senior members of major IT organizations, such as IBM, Microsoft, Oracle, Intel, Accenture, IEEE, HL7, MITRE, SAP, CISCO, HP and many others. As CEO of Arcitura Education Inc., Thomas has led the development of curricula for the internationally recognized Big Data Science Certified Professional (BDSCP), Cloud Certified Professional (CCP) and SOA Certified Professional (SOACP) accreditation programs, which have established a series of formal, vendor-neutral industry certifications obtained by thousands of IT professionals around the world. Thomas has toured more than 20 countries as a speaker and instructor. More than 100 articles and interviews by Thomas have been published in numerous publications, including The Wall Street Journal and CIO Magazine.
Wajid Khattak is a Big Data researcher and trainer at Arcitura Education Inc. His areas of interest include Big Data engineering and architecture, data science, machine learning, analytics and SOA. He has extensive .NET software development experience in the domains of business intelligence reporting solutions and GIS.
Wajid completed his MSc in Software Engineering and Security with distinction from Birmingham City University in 2008. Prior to that, in 2003, he earned his BSc (Hons) degree in Software Engineering from Birmingham City University with first-class recognition. He holds MCAD & MCTS (Microsoft), SOA Architect, Big Data Scientist, Big Data Engineer and Big Data Consultant (Arcitura) certifications.
Dr. Paul Buhler is a seasoned professional who has worked in commercial, government and academic environments. He is a respected researcher, practitioner and educator of service-oriented computing concepts, technologies and implementation methodologies. His work in XaaS naturally extends to cloud, Big Data and IoE areas. Dr. Buhler’s more recent work has been focused on closing the gap between business strategy and process execution by leveraging responsive design principles and goal-based execution.
As Chief Scientist at Modus21, Dr. Buhler is responsible for aligning corporate strategy with emerging trends in business architecture and process execution frameworks. He also holds an Affiliate Professorship at the College of Charleston, where he teaches both graduate and undergraduate computer science courses. Dr. Buhler earned his Ph.D. in Computer Engineering at the University of South Carolina. He also holds an MS degree in Computer Science from Johns Hopkins University and a BS in Computer Science from The Citadel.
What makes us different?
• Instant Download
• Always Competitive Pricing
• 100% Privacy
• FREE Sample Available
• 24-7 LIVE Customer Support