Alkaloids: Chemistry, Biology, Ecology, and Applications 2nd Edition, ISBN-13: 978-0444594334
[PDF eBook eTextbook]
- Publisher: Elsevier Science; 2nd edition (May 6, 2015)
- Language: English
- 496 pages
- ISBN-10: 0444594337
- ISBN-13: 978-0444594334
Alkaloids – Secrets of Life: Alkaloid Chemistry, Biological Significance, Applications and Ecological Role, Second Edition provides knowledge on structural typology, biosynthesis and metabolism in relation to recent research work on alkaloids, considering an organic chemistry approach to alkaloids using biological and ecological explanation. The book approaches several questions and unresearched areas that persist in this field of research. It provides a beneficial text for academics, professionals or anyone who is interested in the fascinating subject of alkaloids. Each chapter features an abstract. Appendices, a listing of alkaloids, and plants containing alkaloids are all included, as are basic protocols of alkaloid analysis.
Alkaloids are produced by the secondary metabolism of living organisms in different biotopes. They are a group of interesting and complex chemical compounds having relatively common distribution in all kingdoms of organisms in all environments. Over 200 years of scientific research, though, has still not fully explained all the connections between alkaloids and life. Alkaloids: Chemistry, Biology, Ecology, and Applications (previously AlkaloidsSecrets of Life: Alkaloid Chemistry, Biological Significance, Applications and Ecological Role) has a broader scope presenting new horizons in alkaloid science and technology. This book provides knowledge on structural typology, biosynthesis, and metabolism in relation to recent research work on alkaloids. It considers an organic chemistry approach to alkaloids using biological and ecological explanation.
– A single volume reference providing a comprehensive review of the origin, purpose, and biological and medical uses of alkaloids
– An interdisciplinary approach enabling readers to understand alkaloids from the different viewpoints of chemists, biologists, ecologists, and evolutionists
– Appendices listing alkaloids, plants containing alkaloids, and an explanation of the basic protocols of alkaloid analysis
New to This Edition
– Extensive new coverage including new chapters examining the ecological role of alkaloids in nature and ecosystems, their evolutionary significance, and extraction of alkaloids
– Coverage of bioecological, chemotechnological, chemomolecular, and biosynthetic classification of alkaloids and their natural and artificial modifications including both present and potential applications in industries and biotechnologies (blue, white, fungal)
– New survey of the role of alkaloids in nature and human behavior including alkaloids circulation between species, endogenicity and exogenicity of alkaloids, their possible action and receptor regulation in the nervous system, and addictions
Tadeusz Aniszewski – Former (retired 2014) Professor in Applied Botany, University of Eastern Finland, Faculty of Science and Forestry, Department of Biology, Research and Teaching Laboratory of Applied Botany, Joensuu Campus. Internationally known, Chair of Phytochemical Section of the Botanical Society of America. Lifetime scientific title of docent in applied botany. Gold Medal for a Long Service to the Scientic Community.
What makes us different?
• Instant Download
• Always Competitive Pricing
• 100% Privacy
• FREE Sample Available
• 24-7 LIVE Customer Support