Adapted Physical Education and Sport 6th Edition, ISBN-13: 978-1492511533
[PDF eBook eTextbook]
- 648 pages
- ISBN-13: 978-1492511533
- Publisher: Human Kinetics, Inc.; Sixth Edition (September 13, 2016)
- Author(s): Joseph P. Winnick, David L. Porretta
- Reading level: 18 and up
- Language: English
The field of adapted physical education and sport has undergone numerous changes in recent years. This new edition of Adapted Physical Education and Sport will help you stay on top of those changes and, in doing so, provide the highest-quality physical education and sport opportunities for students with disabilities.
The sixth edition of this well-loved text builds on its successful previous editions and is replete with changes that are current with today’s trends and practices in the field:
• As the inclusion movement continues to expand, the authors have revised several chapters to detail relevant inclusion practices and applications in both physical education and sport, helping to integrate students with disabilities into regular class and sport settings with guidelines for modifying activities.
• The chapter on adapted sport is further developed to communicate and reflect on progress in the field and includes a Sport Framework for Individuals with Disabilities model to help develop and implement sport programs.
• The book gives attention to the revised Brockport Physical Fitness Test, and the accompanying web resource offers video clips that explain and demonstrate the criterion-referenced health-related tests that are applicable to many students with disabilities.
• Advances and applications pertaining to behavior management and wheelchair sport performance are covered in various chapters.
• The authors address the use of new technology as it relates to teaching and administration for adapted physical education and explore stand-alone apps that can be used in conjunction with the book that are useful in behavior management, fitness development, communication, social interaction, and physical education activities.
• The authors give increased attention to the problem of obesity, particularly relevant to students with disabilities.
• Many new authors and a coeditor have been brought on board, bringing fresh perspectives to the book and adding to the depth of experience provided by the returning authors and editor.
These additions help Adapted Physical Education and Sport maintain its reputation as a comprehensive, user-friendly text that helps teachers provide top-quality services to people with unique physical education needs. Greatly influenced by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, this book helps in identifying the unique needs of students and developing physical education programs, including individualized education programs (IEPs) for students with disabilities, that are consistent with current federal legislation.
The authors, renowned authorities in their fields, use real-life scenarios to introduce chapter concepts and then show how to apply the concepts in solving issues. The text will help deepen understanding of the implications of disabilities for people through age 21 (though much of the book is relevant in the entire life span). It grounds readers in the foundational topics for adapted physical education and sport, explores the developmental considerations involved, and outlines activities for developing programs for people with unique physical education needs.
The book offers a four-color design to draw attention to important elements and provides separate author and subject indexes as well as resources with each chapter and on the web resource for further exploration.
Adapted Physical Education and Sport supplies all that is needed for enriching the lives of students with disabilities by providing them with the high-quality programs they deserve.
Joseph P. Winnick, EdD, is a distinguished service professor in the department of kinesiology, sport studies and physical education at State University of New York, College at Brockport. He received his bachelor’s degree from Ithaca College and master’s and doctoral degrees from Temple University. For more than 50 years he has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in and developed and coordinated programs for adapted physical education at Brockport. He has also directed nationwide research projects related to the physical fitness of persons with disabilities and been involved in the publication of the Brockport Physical Fitness Test and supportive materials.
Winnick has been president and a board member of the National Consortium for Physical Education for Individuals with Disabilities and has been a consultant for the U.S. Department of Education since 1969. He has also served as a reviewer for several professional journals, has more than 70 publications to his credit, and is a member of SHAPE America. His previous editions of Adapted Physical Education and Sport have been translated into five languages. He is a renowned Human Kinetics’ authors and enjoys racquetball, golf, and hiking.
David L. Porretta, PhD, earned his BS from Niagara University, MS from Ithaca College, and PhD from Temple University. He is an emeritus professor at the Ohio State University and has taught undergraduate and graduate courses in adapted physical education for over 35 years. Dr. Porretta has numerous major scholarly publications and a continuous record of external funding. He has served as Editor as well as editorial board member of the Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly (APAQ). He holds Fellow status in the National Academy of Kinesiology (NAK), the International Federation of Adapted Physical Activity (IFAPA), and the Research Council of SHAPE, America. Dr. Porretta is the recipient of the Hollis Fait Scholarly Contribution Award and G. Lawrence Rarick Research Award both from the National Consortium for Physical Education for Individuals with Disabilities (NCPEID). He also served as NCPEID’s president. Dr. Porretta has been a contributing author to all previous editions of Adapted Physical Education and Sport. He enjoys golf, traveling, and attending Ohio State sporting events.
What makes us different?
• Instant Download
• Always Competitive Pricing
• 100% Privacy
• FREE Sample Available
• 24-7 LIVE Customer Support